Oriental Trading and your neighborhood Christian Book store provide a good service. We have used both for VBS and our children’s ministries throughout the year. But………….
Flipping through a magazine or walking through a store can send me into fits of alternating laughter/ridicule and repulsion/nausea.
Is it my personality? My cynical generation? Or is there just too much mass produced “Jesus Junk” in America and it means something? Does it represent something negative or ugly about American Christianity or am I thinking too much?
I don’t think you are bad for liking this stuff, but it just ain’t my cup of Christian herbal tea served in a mug with a scripture on it.
I wonder what Jesus would do if he walked through a Christian book store…..
Anyway, here are some things you might buy (if you don’t puke):
- p. 25-“Joy to the World” Paddleball Game–(because nothing celebrates the birth of the Messiah like hand/eye coordination)
- p. 46-”Plush Long Arm Religious Gorillas”–(religious because they have a cross on their chest, that sounds about right in America c. 2013)
- p. 47-“Mini Cross-Shaped Suckers” –(this kind of stuff really annoys me. I am not opposed to cross jewelry or tattoos, but find it ironic that most are soft, shiny, and pretty or in this case, lickable sugar!!)
- p. 48-“Religious Cross Kick Balls” –( really?! For a hackey-sack ministry, maybe? Do I get a youth minister discount?)
- p. 49-“NEW! Inspirational Relaxables” -(“stress-relieving” squeezable ball thing with “faith” “believer” “hope” printed on them; I guess meditating on Scripture isn’t getting the job done)