(remember back in July when I started a series on 90s music? Well, it fell apart, but I did write this back then)
There is a sub-genre in the 90s which every period has, but I really like it in this decade. These bands are kinda pop, but not terrible. Better than the one-hit wonders still to be discussed because they had 2-3 memorable songs, maybe a decent second album. But no top albums of the decade or top bands, in my opinion. Maybe top 20 if I were to go that high.
I suppose these bands, which I love, are the equivalent to the Journey/Foreigner/Bad Company bands of the 70s that I often mock.
- Also fits into the TMI dysfunctional childhood genre with “Father of Mine.”
- “Santa Monica” requires cranking up the volume while in the car, EVERY SINGLE TIME.
- Push: not nice song, but soooo catchy
- “It’s 3 am I must be listening to this song over and over”
Third Eye Blind
- Semi-charmed life, as I recall was the bigger hit, but give me Jumper, and even How’s it gonna be
Goo Goo Dolls
- Acoustic guitar, love ballads. they did it well
- I would like to invent a word just for “Hey Jealousy”: “re-listenability”. I never tire of it. Won’t change the channel or hit next on the MP3 player. It may be the perfect pop song.
Jumper and Hey Jealousy definitely make my top 20 songs for the decade. I never tire of them.
Throw in Live and Collective Soul, as well.