Well, “church-shopping” is not one of the things I am excited about with this transition but view it as maybe the most important thing we will do.
For better or worse, there are options. What’s important? What’s not? What can we do without? What is a deal-breaker?
Some deal-breakers for me would be:
- too much patriotism and politics in the assembly
- believing in the “word only” heresy concerning the Holy Spirit
- divisive/attacking mentality towards other churches and sinner groups
Things I am looking for:
- small groups. so many congregations in Nashville are large, hope to find a smaller group for support/encouragement
- Shepherds who are mature, prayerful, wise and involved in helping the congregation know Jesus better
- men’s group. besides brothers I already know, I hope to have godly men to pray with, not just to watch a game or play ball
- total honesty: a church big enough that doesn’t need my wife or I to teach or lead. will get around to it, but need a break to be fed
Many things are obvious such as friendliness, Christ-focus, evangelistic and accepting of the outcasts, etc. I also hope it doesn’t take too long to find a place where we all feel comfortable.
What do you look for, or what would you look for if selecting a church home??