Every Christian should have at least a small library of reference books to help you in your personal Bible study. Here are some categories of books, including my favorites, which I recommend.
You can purchase these and others at My Amazon Associates Store. (If you click on “powered by Amazon.com” on the top right of the page, it will take you to Amazon.com.)
General Resources for Bible Study
- How We Got the Bible by Neil Lightfoot
- How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth by Gordon Fee and Douglas Stuart
- This book has a great list of recommend commentaries in the back which is worth the price.
- How to Read the Bible Book by Book by Gordon Fee
- Manners and Customs in the Bible by Victor Matthews
- This info is also covered by many NT Surveys. There are many other volumes besides Matthews.
- Nelson’s Complete Book of Bible Maps and Charts
- A book discussing the Inter-testamental period–400B.C. til the birth of Jesus
- A good concordance, based upon the translation you are most familiar with
- A single volume Bible Dictionary
- Biblical Archeaology
- Archaeology and the Old Testament by Alfred J. Hoerth
- Archaeology and the New Testament by John McRay
- I actually have the combined/condensed 1 volume book, “Biblical Archaeology” edited by these men.
- Deeper Reading: A little more advance
- multi volume dictionary set such as Anchor Bible Dictionary or the IVP series
- The Canon of Scripture by F.F. Bruce
- NT Exegesis by Gordon Fee (talks some about Greek but principles are helpful even if you don’t know Greek)
- Exegetical Fallacies by D.A. Carson
- A book on Doctrine: Erickson, McGrath, Sproul, etc.
- The Bible that Jesus Read by Phillip Yancey
- Peoples of the OT World by Hoerth, Mattingly, and Yamauchi
- The Prophet Motive by Kenny Barfield
- Survey of the Old Testament by Hill and Walton (worth any price)
- The Tender Commandments by Ron Mehl
- Bible Background Commentary (IVP)
- A NT Survey: a book which gives historical, literary, theological, and background on each book of the NT
- Some good ones include Merrill Tenney, Donald Guthrie, Moo & Carson
- Paul: Apostle of the Heart Set Free by F.F. Bruce
- Bible Background Commentary by Keener (IVP)